From Rags to Riches

FROM RAGS TO RICHES

THE QU PUTEH STORY
This story somehow is derived from Bernama.

Datuk Seri Hasmiza Othman, better known as Dr Vida./Bernama
Source: BERNAMA - Datuk Seri Vida :From Rags To Riches

                         As Malaysians, I am sure all of us know the successful woman in the picture above. Datuk Seri Hasmiza Othman or better known as Datuk Seri Vida (DSV) is commonly known as businesswoman with her health and beauty products such as Pamoga and Qu Puteh. Before we go deeper about her life story, I would like to share her biodata so that we can learn more from her difficulties until she is what we know now.


  • BIOGRAPHY

  • Name: Datuk Seri Dr. Hajjah Hasmizah Othman
  • Nick Name: Datuk Seri Vida or DSV
  • Origin: Machang, Kelantan
  • Age: 46 Years Old
  • Siblings: The Third from Three
  • Education: 
  • 1 - Bachelor of Education (Malay Literature and History) from University Science of Malaysia (USM)  
  • 2 - Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Biology from Monash University
  • Career: Health and Cosmetics Products Entrepreneurs
  • Company: Vida Beauty Sdn. Bhd.
  • Status: Divorcee
  • Children:
  • 1 - Nur Edlynn Zamileen Muhammad Amin (Cik B)
  • 2 - Muhammad Eric Zacquan (Kacak)
                            From her biography above, we finally knew that she is not an ordinary person with her education's background which is bombastic. Most of the citizens knew her because of her promoting products with the tagline "Qu Puteh, Qu Puteh, Barulah Putih. Mmuahhh!!" Although this tagline is found to be so annoying, she managed to get the people aware of her product, beauty supplement, Qu Puteh. Same goes as the Pamoga product, "Mujur Ada Pamoga", most of the old folks consumed the health product will give positive feedbacks.

                            Its not as easy as ABC to become a successful person. Even Rome was't build in a day. Speaking in a thick Kelantanese dialect, DSV said the road to become a multimillionaire was filled with challenges and hurdles. Being sabotaged, cheated, slandered and while failure upon failure was experienced b every successful people
and DSV also is not excluded. However, these things won't affect her either rather than when she lost her two of her four kids from the fire a few years ago. For a few years, she just disappear from the media and also her business.






                           Image result for DSV dan rumahnya
                                       Source: kisahviralmalaysiaterkini.blogspot.com
                           As we can see from her wealth, she is abled to build a mansion of about RM 22 million in Ipoh, Perak and own 22 luxury houses, more than 10 luxury cars and the jewelleries that she is constantly adorned with. “I’ve gone through failures and losses, but it only made me more determined  to work harder for this life and the hereafter. I would not be able to achieve all of these without tenacity,” she said.

Image result for +KEreta mewah DSV
                                                        Source: warta.my
                             Her life changed for the worse when her father, who owned a sawmill, died suddenly. From then on, her mother had to tap rubber to bring up her and her two siblings. She discovered from a young age that business was a good way to support herself. She made good pocket money selling legumes and packed rice meals to school friends. She eventually made her way to Universiti Sains Malaysia in Penang to pursue a degree in education, majoring in Malay Literature and History. In order to support herself in university, she sold products from Kelantan such as the batik sarong, prayer garments, meat sambal or hot relish and keropok or chips to her friends and lecturers.

                                  Image result for DSV SEBELUM KAYA
                                       Source: siakapkelisa22.blogspot.my  
                              She tirelessly worked shifts at a factory and took on a part time job at a fast-food restaurant near the campus. Upon graduation, she was assigned to teaching at SJK (C) Poi Lam in Ipoh.  Even with a steady monthly income as a teacher, she had a strong desire to run a business. She eventually decided to start a business in the field of beauty and grooming and enrolled in a grooming course. After learning the trade, she made the bold decision to take on a RM 100,000 bank loan to open a beauty salon. “With a teachers salary of RM3,000 at the time, I had pay back a bank loan of RM 2,000. I used the balance to pay for my rent and car installments and to survive. Those were some difficult times,” she recalled.

                             As she was still new to a business on that scale, DSV naively spent all her loan money on renovation works. “The entire RM100,000 sum was spent turning my shop lot into a beauty salon. “It was funny, I had a beautiful salon but no money for capital or for buying products to sell! “So I had to go out and make more money by running a pasar malam (night market) business, selling food, prayer garments and other items,” she shared. After 12 years, DSV decided to quit her teaching job. She then signed up as a staff at the National Vocational Training Council and taught hair and makeup grooming to students at the center. To improve their skills, she decided to set them up for a challenge. “In my classes, they would cut each others hair and do facials for one another. I didn’t find this challenging enough. So I bought RM 15 chairs and brought them to a supermarket where I asked them to offer free facial treatments to the public. “The promotion was well received, so I decided to buy lounge chairs to enable more students to practice what they have learned. “After that, many started inquiring about facial wash products. It was then that I first came up with my own line of cosmetics, Vida Beauty,” she explained.

                                DSV then received a RM 1 Million grant from the government to start her cosmetics business. Half of the money was spent on Research and Development, which included travelling to several countries to source for the best ingredients for her cosmetic products. She then spent RM 100,000 advertising her products in a local magazine and the remaining RM 400,000 on advertising on private radio and TV stations. However, none of it produced tangible results. “The magnitude of the financial loss took a toll on me, to the point that I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. However, there was a silver lining to the episode. “As someone who likes to experiment, I tried coming up with my own remedy to treat my blood pressure, using gamat (sea cucumber), known for its cooling effect and pomegranate, which is high in antioxidants. The remedy managed to reduce my blood pressure. “That was the birth of my health product, Pamoga. However, the sales of my products refused to budge due to the advertising failure. That year, I managed to sell only 500 bottles of Pamoga,” she said.

                               Daunted by her product marketing failure, DSV eventually decided to end her business but not before giving it one last shot. She chose to promote her products through the RTM Kelantan FM radio station. She spoke about her products, particularly Pamoga, in 15-minute slots for two days. On the third day, she was convinced that her business was a bust and went to close her shop at a supermarket in Kota Baharu. To her surprise, she found a crowd gathered outside the premises. “I thought someone had fainted, but it turned out they were there to buy Pamoga. That was six years ago. From then on, my sales soared. User testimony proved to be the most effective way of marketing my products. “Today, sales of Pamoga is some 100,000 bottles a month, and I have over 100 other products,” she said. After ten years in business, her products reached eight figures. “After my bad experience, I became extra careful when it comes to advertising. At the same, I diversified my investments, putting my money in local dramas and films as well as several other businesses. In addition to sponsoring TV programmes, I am also sponsoring the Kelantan football team to a tune of RM 16 million, but on the condition that they paint the stadium pink,” she said, laughing. 

                             Today, she is more discriminating in marketing her products, as she had lost millions of Ringgit because of ineffective advertising over the years. “That is why I write my own advertisements and star in it myself,” she said. She said her glittery persona was in contrast to the person she really is - someone who liked to lounge around in caftans without makeup on. “I am promoting my own products, so I need to make it catchy and memorable. “This bling-bling persona is necessary to help sell my products, so that they will remember who Vida is and the products from her company, Vida Beauty Sdn Bhd,” she explained.

                          Image result for vidabeauty products
                                                   Source: facebook.com
                          
                                Throughout the course of her business, DSV had had to encounter numerous setbacks including competition from counterfeit products, sabotage and slanderous allegations. She is also acutely aware of the negative comments about her appearance. “I know many people like to give me flak especially with regards to my appearance. I am used to it. They don't know who I really am or understand my goals. If I were to listen to all the criticism, I’d be going nowhere,” she said. As someone who had had to work hard from a young age to survive, DSV was determined to not let her children go through similar difficulties in life. “My children are my inspiration and source of strength, but I have taught them quite a bit of the trade, and they both seem quite interested in running a business,” she said. This year, her business calendar is packed with several new business ventures, including the manufacturing of her own range of mineral water and isotonic drinks.She also plans to expand her business overseas.

                                  From her story above, I hope we have gain something that will benefit us today or afterwards. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Leadership Qualities We Can Learn From Optimus Prime